Friday, October 25, 2013

Making My Touch-Up Sample Bottles of Paint


I thought I'd share another little tip I learned out of necessity the other day. 

I was getting ready to put my blue end table in my booth and I wanted to include some touch up paint as a special little touch that just I do.  I've never seen anyone do that before and if you don't know what the paint is it is hard to touch up something if someone in the house or a mover gashes it. 

I was feeling extra generous because I was going to put some red chairs I got in my booth and I notices something black on a couple of the legs.  I couldn't get it off so I tried to match the color to go over it.  I went through so many reds and custom mixes trying to match it exactly.  I hate to say it but I never did get it.  I got close but a shade off is enough to tell a difference.  I was so upset. 

I have sold two of the chairs and have to see if the 2 left are the ones I tried to fix.  If they are I may have to take them out and repaint them entirely.

Anyway, here is a cool idea to include some touch-up paint with your furniture for sale.

I found several racks of spices in small cylinder containers for a couple dollars at the thrift store.  I took one, scrubbed it well and proceeded.  





The bottles are a decent size.  Picture spice bottles.  I didn't want to fill the entire bottle with paint because that's a lot of paint to give away but I didn't want it to be noticeable that it wasn't all the way full. (Merchandizers do this with product all the time and I didn't feel guilty because I thought it was pretty cool that I was giving my buyer some paint.)

I decided to paint the outside of the bottle the same color as the touch up paint.  In order to do that I had to find a way to hold the bottle so I could paint the bottom of it.  Just put it on top of your paint stirring stick and put that in a cup. It will hold it while you paint.

 
 
Now to make the label for the top.  I went to my publisher program and found some round labels, put in some colored paper and printed a few sheets.  I knew I was going to have to practice.  It had been a while since I used my little stencil cutter for circles and it doesn't always match up just right on the circle you are cutting.  This wasn't going to be perfect but it still looked good.
 

 
Not bad.  You can see through the paper a little after I used the spray adhesive to adhere the label to the top of the glass bottle but I thought it would dry ok.  I'll do better next time.
 
 
I got this spray adhesive at the local Michaels Craft store. You can find many comparable spray adhesives at home improvement, Walmart type stores, and craft stores. 

 
The finished product turned out great. I put it in a hemp linen bag that I received a gift in (Reuse, Recycle, ReInvent) and tied it shut with twine and my label stating that it was with the table.
I did the table in August and didn't get it into my booth to sell until this week.  Crazy I know!
 
 
 


Have a great day!
 
I am Linking up with What's it Wednesday and The Scoop!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment